What Work is Taking Place?
Construction of a new Facility Service Building for TTC’s Line 1 Subway is underway at Berwick Avenue and Yonge Street. Some of the work can only be safely performed while the subway is not operational. Crews will work Friday January 17 through Monday January 20, 2020, to perform plumbing work at the Berwick Ave site, maintenance north of the platform track and to install additional hoarding on the platform for elevator construction.
Work will take place on a 24-hour basis. Berwick Avenue will be closed at Yonge Street during this work. The Hillsdale Avenue Bridge north sidewalk and lane located between Duplex Ave and Yonge Street will be closed for material storage. This work will coincide with a closure of TTC’s Line 1 Subway between Sheppard-Yonge and St Clair Stations on January 18 and 19, 2020. Please note that this work is subject to cancellation. TTC closures may go ahead even in the event of the road closure cancellation. For more information, please visit www.ttc.ca.
• Friday January 17, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. through Monday January 20, 2020 at 7:00 a.m.
• Construction activities will take place on a 24-hour basis
Subway Closure Details
There will be no subway service at TTC Eglinton Station on each of the weekends listed below. Access to TTC Eglinton Station Bus Terminal will be maintained, allowing TTC users to access shuttle buses for the duration of the closure. Please visit TTC’s website www.ttc.ca, under “Scheduled Subway Closures” for more information on subway closures and shuttle bus operation.
Subway closure details are subject to change. Riders should consult www.ttc.ca for service information.
As of January 10, 2020, Line 1 will be closed:
• Between Sheppard-Yonge Station and St Clair Stations on Saturday January 18 and 19, 2020
What to Expect
• Construction zones and laydown areas will be set up on Berwick Ave between Duplex Ave and Yonge St
• Noise from large construction equipment, heavy truck traffic entering and exiting the work zone, equipment and material storage within work zones, as well as lighting can also be expected.
• All property access is expected to be maintained, with the exception of four commercial parking spaces to the east of 34 Berwick Ave. In the event that property access will be affected, property owners will be contacted directly.
• Expect delays when travelling in the vicinity of Berwick Ave during each closure.
Traffic and Pedestrian Impacts
• Berwick Ave will be closed mid-block between Duplex Ave and Yonge St, per the schedule listed above.
• On-street parking will be temporarily prohibited.
• Access to Canada Square parking lot will be maintained from Duplex Ave only; access to 2180 Yonge St loading dock and TTC Bus Bay from Berwick Avenue will be maintained from Yonge St only.
• Pedestrian access will be maintained along the north side of Berwick Ave from Duplex Ave to Yonge St. At times, pedestrians may be asked to halt or divert around the crane movements.
• The south sidewalk of Berwick Ave from Yonge St to the west end of the work zone will be temporarily closed.
Travelling Smart during Construction
Travel delays are expected with the Crosstown construction. Please allow extra time for your journey. Traffic will be extra heavy at peak periods during the Crosstown construction. When possible, please travel during the off-peak period between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Sign up for e-mail updates at www.thecrosstown.ca/sign-up or download the Crosstown traffic app to get real-time traffic and transit information for the Eglinton corridor.