This information has been provided by our local Toronto Police Service 53 Division and will be important to small business owners in the Oriole Park / Chaplin Estates area.
PROTECTING YOUR BUSINESS DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
The closure of non-essential businesses within Ontario may cause businesses to worry about the safety of their business properties. We are sharing the following crime prevention tips for businesses within 53 Division, in order to help them stay safe and secure.
• Remove all valuables from storefront displays to help reduce smash-and-grab thefts;
• Remove all valuables such as cash from the till and leave it open. Place cash tray in plain view on the counter to signal there’s no money in the till;
• Remove signage from front windows so police can see the inside unobstructed during patrols;
• Consider installing an alarm monitoring system. If you already have one, ensure the contact list is upto-date;
• Clearly post signage on the door/window to indicate that the premises are monitored by an alarm company; that no money is kept on the premises and contact information for police and the business owner in case a member of the public sees damage to the property or suspicious activity;
• If the premises are closed for an extended period of time, clean all glass surfaces and create a tracking log of when cleaning was completed. This may help investigators with suspect fingerprints in the event of a break-in;
• Consider installing a surveillance camera system that can be monitored online by owner/management;
• Consider using a laminate on all windows and glass doors to prevent the glass from being broken from blunt force. Although damage to glass will occur in a break-in attempt, it will greatly discourage or prevent entry;
• Install latch guards on doors to protect against prying including on secondary doors such as employee and loading entrances;
• Keep some lighting on inside for surveillance opportunities during the evening;
• Ensure all doors are properly secured and regularly check all exterior lighting is functioning; and
• Remove material around the exterior of the property that may be used to gain entry
Hopefully these tips will help keep your business secure during the current unique circumstances we find ourselves in.
If you have any questions, please contact:
PC Timothy Somers Crime Prevention Officer firstname.lastname@example.org