What Work is Taking Place?
In mid-October 2019, a new traffic configuration will be implemented at Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue to facilitate construction of a tunnel ventilation shaft for TTC’s Line 1 subway.
In order to facilitate the work, a new work zone will be erected in the middle of the Yonge Street between Eglinton Avenue East and Roehampton Avenue, with vehicle traffic travelling on either side of the work zone.
All four crosswalks will re-open at Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue East intersection. This configuration is expected to remain in place for approximately six (6) months.
Hours of Work
• Beginning in mid-October 2019 for approximately six (6) months.
• Construction will take place between 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
• The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion.
• Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
Upcoming Construction Configuration
Traffic and Pedestrian Changes
• All four (4) crosswalks at the Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue East intersection will be open.
• The north crosswalk will return to its original position at the intersection.
• The west crosswalk will re-open to facilitate movements north to south.
• Yonge Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Roehampton Avenue and Eglinton Avenue for the duration of the work.
• Northbound traffic will travel on the east side of the work zone.
• Southbound traffic will travel on the west side of the work zone.
• Sidewalk and traffic lane widths will be reduced between Roehampton Avenue and Eglinton Avenue.
• Signage will be in place to direct pedestrians.
• Please watch for traffic and construction signage.
• As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
What to Expect
• Street furniture, including decorative poles, planters and a bus shelter, will be removed to provide adequate sidewalk and road width. Final landscaping will be performed at the end of the project.
• For safety, use of concrete barriers, fencing, dust cloth and lighting can be expected.
• A short stretch of the sidewalk on the east side of Yonge Street will be reduced to 1.5m.
• Storefront and property access will be maintained.
• Third party crossing guard services will continue.
• Use of construction equipment, such as drills and excavators.
• Expect delays when traveling near work zones.
Access to the TTC Eglinton Subway Station will be maintained. Relocation and re-routing of bus stops is done in consultation with TTC to ensure construction can continue safely while minimizing impact on the community and customers. Please watch for posted notices indicating new information.
Travelling Smart during Construction
Travel delays are expected with the Crosstown construction. Please allow extra time for your journey. Traffic will be extra heavy at peak periods during the Crosstown construction. When possible, please travel during the off-peak period between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Disponible en Francais.