What Work is Taking Place?
In September 2019, crews will conduct a series of closures of Berwick Avenue between Duplex Avenue and Yonge Street to perform supporting construction activities for TTC’s Line 1 Subway Facility Services Building. Due to the location of the new building, the work can only be carried out safely while the subway is not in operation. Please see below the schedules of road closure and subway closure in September.
Please note that this work is subject to cancellation. If cancelled, the road closure will not be required, and affected properties will be notified. TTC closures may go ahead even in the even of the road closure cancellation. Please visit TTC’s website under “Scheduled Subway Closures” for update-to-date service information.
Road Closure Details
Berwick Ave will be closed between Duplex Ave and Yonge St
- Friday September 13, 2019 at 7:00 a.m. – Monday September 16, 2019 at 7:00 a.m.
- Friday September 20, 2019 at 7:00 a.m. – Monday September 23, 2019 at 7:00 a.m.
Construction activities will take place on a 24-hour basis during each closure.
Schedule is subject to change and/or cancellation.
Subway Closure Details
There will be no subway service at TTC Eglinton Station on each of the weekends listed below. Access to TTC Eglinton Station Bus Terminal will be maintained, allowing TTC users to access shuttle buses for the duration of the closure. Please visit TTC’s website under “Scheduled Subway Closures” for more information on subway closures and shuttle bus operation.
As of August 27, 2019, Line 1 will be closed:
- Between St Clair Station and Lawrence Station from Saturday September 14 until Monday September 16, 2019
- Between St Clair Station and Lawrence Station from Saturday September 21 until Monday September 23, 2019
Subway closure details are subject to change. Riders should consult TTC’s website for update-to-date service information.
What to Expect
- Construction zones and laydown areas will be set up on Berwick Ave between Duplex Ave and Yonge St, and in TTC’s corridor (south of Berwick Ave).
- Noise from large construction equipment, heavy truck traffic entering and exiting the work zone, equipment and material storage within work zones, as well as lighting can also be expected.
- Work will occur on a 24-hour schedule during the TTC subway weekend closures listed above.
- All property access is expected to be maintained, with the exception of four parking spaces to the east of 34 Berwick Ave. In the event that property access will be affected, property owners will be contacted directly.
- Expect delays when travelling in the vicinity of Berwick Ave during each closure.
Traffic and Pedestrian Impacts
- Berwick Ave will be closed mid-block between Duplex Ave and Yonge St, per the schedule listed above.
- Access to Canada Square parking lot will be maintained from Duplex Ave only; access to 2180 Yonge St loading dock and TTC Bus Bay from Berwick Ave will be maintained from Yonge St only.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained along the north side of Berwick Ave from Duplex Ave to Yonge St. At times, pedestrians may be asked to halt or divert around the crane movements.
- The south sidewalk of Berwick Ave from Yonge St to the west end of the work zone will be temporarily closed.
Travelling Smart during Construction
Travel delays are expected with the Crosstown construction. Please allow extra time for your journey. Traffic will be extra heavy at peak periods during the Crosstown construction. When possible, please travel during the off-peak period between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Sign up for e-mail updates at www.thecrosstown.ca/sign-up or download the Crosstown traffic app to get real-time traffic and transit information for the Eglinton corridor.
Disponible en francais